cultural cocktail

musings on music, film, pop culture, literature, and whatever else is top of my mind

Friday, September 22, 2006

high on this tasty bud




Okay, I know I'm a bit behind the eight ball on this one, but in just 24 hours I've watched six episodes of Weeds, the Showtime dramedy starring Mary Louise Parker as Nancy Botkin, a widowed suburban mom who turns to dealing dope to maintain her upper-middle class lifestyle. By all accounts, she shouldn't be terribly sympathetic. Her two sons are in school, why can't she get a real job, ferchrisake? I guess 'cause we've all seen that show before. But who cares? It's Mary Louise Parker, and she makes me feel like piecing together my ripped up lesbian card, even if it takes several hours to do so.

Anyhow, back to the show's silly premise: You got a white suburban mom selling pot, and that's reason enough to have her interact with the tough yet ever-so-likable grandmother-to-be black dealer in the dicey part of town. In episode four (or three? I've embarrassingly binged and they're all a jumble), Nancy/MLP is visiting the house in the 'hood, restocking her supply, and the bullets start to fly. The dealer family (grandma dealer's grown kids live with her) go on auto pilot, and lunge for cover, while Nancy stands dazed and clueless until the hunky son, Conrad (Romany Malco, who seems to be dating MLP now in "real life"), pulls her down to the floor. It's a funny moment, trust me.

While Elizabeth Perkins' character on the show, Celia, initially seems as tightly wound as a Swiss clock, circumstances cause her to loosen up remarkably in the span of six episodes. Even though MLP is the dope dealer, Celia is the really whacky customer. Anyhow, suffice it to say, I'm hooked and looking forward to burning through the next six installments.

Labels:

1 Comments:

At 9:24 AM, Blogger Bonnie said...

Wait! She's dating Conrad "in real life"? He's hot!

And Weeds just gets better and better -- this season has actually made me tear up as well as cheer.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home